A New Generation of Ideas
On the former site of a vaudeville theater, the Steele Building was designed and built by William Steele Sons & Co. in 1912. The Steele family came to America with the dawn of the Gold Rush - an era of ideas and innovations that now reflects the building’s new use as a coworking space. The Steele Building was originally home to Horn & Hardart’s Baking Company - the innovative creator of the Automat, a self-serving vending machine-style restaurant concept that was popular in the early 20th century. The Automat shared the Steele Building with a number of other tenants throughout the years, such as Geuting’s Shoe Store and Sol Cohn & Sons Cloaks and Suits, solidifying its place in the shopping and garment district of Philadelphia.